Burren Ecotourism Network
Sheedys Hotel and Restaurant is a member of B.E.N., the Burren Ecotourism Network. Its aims are the development of a self sustaining ecotourism network of accredited Burren businesses and to promote the Burren as an ecotourism destination.
Environmental Management Policy
We recognise that our business has an important role to play in protecting and enhancing the environment for future generations and to help secure the long-term sustainability of the Tourism Industry.
To this end, we are committed to taking the following actions:
- To achieve sound environmental practices across our entire operation
- To produce an annual Environmental Plan setting out our Objectives, Targets and planned Actions.
- To comply fully with all relevant legislation
- To minimise our waste and to reduce our water consumption where possible
- To Reduce, Reuse, Recycle the resources consumed by our business wherever practical
- To invite our customers, suppliers and contractors to participate in our efforts to protect the environment.
- To provide all employees with the training and resources required to meet our objectives.
- To openly communicate our policies and practices to interested parties.
- To monitor and record our environmental impacts on a regular basis and compare our performance with our policies, objectives and targets.
To reduce our Carbon Footprint, we ask your assistance:
1. Please turn off all lights and electrical equipment when leaving the room
2. Please place glass and plastic bottles, used batteries and newspapers beside your dustbin, to be collected by housekeeping and recycled
3. Please notify a member of staff if you notice any leaks
4. If you feel that you can reuse your towels please hand them back on the bathroom rail
We are passionate about sourcing and using goods from Local Producers. Here is a list of our local suppliers.
- Garrihys Seafoods, Doolin
- Bernad Roughan Butcher, Ennistymon,
- Burren Smokehouse for smoked salmon
- St Tola Goats Cheese from Inagh, a farm about 8 miles from Sheedys
- Organic Apple Juice from Con Trasse, Co. Tipperary
- Eggs from the farm of Tom and Debbie White, Lisdoonvarna
- Raspberries and other soft fruit and home grown apples from Christine Sharpe who has an orchard at the foot of Corkscrew Hill, The Burren
- Lettuce and herbs from Colm Fahy who farms in the Burren
- Foleys Fruit and Veg supplier, Ennistymon
We have a small organic garden to the front of the Hotel where we grow beetroot, herbs, chives, potatoes. We do not use any harmful chemicals in our garden.
All our meat is 100% Irish and traceable back to the farm.
Eco Friendly Activities
At Sheedys Hotel and Restaurant, we offer Walking and Cycling breaks in The Burren.
We encourage guests to walk or cycle while they are visiting the Burren. We have bicycles for guests use. We can book a guide for a hike or walk on The Burren and have plenty of maps and advice for walks on the Burren.