Here is the perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe to share with your loved one on Valentine’s Day. If you can find a heart shaped cake tin, all the better. ( or use an 8 inch round cake tin) Use the best quality chocolate you can get.
110g good semisweet chocolate, chopped
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs, seperated
110g ground almonds,
a pinch of salt.
FOR FROSTING: 115ml heavy cream and 110g good semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Very gently melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water. stir until smooth, then remove from the heat and let cool while preparing the rest of the mixture. Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and then beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the cooled chocolate, then stir in the almonds using a large metal spoon.
3. Beat the egg whites with pinch of salt until they form soft peaks. gently fold them into the chocolate mixture.
4. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until just cooked in the centre.
5. To make the ganache icing, heat the cream to hot but not boiling. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. leave until completly melted, stirring occasionally. When cool and thick enough to spread, use to cover the sides and top of cake.
6. Serve with softly whipped cream. Enjoy!