- Here is a recipe that I thought you might like to try in January, when citrus fruits are at their best. We offer small slices of this cake to guests of the Restaurant, served with tea or coffee. This recipe is one John got from his Mother.
170g unsalted butter
170g caster sugar
170g self raising flour, sifted
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
Grated zest of 2 lemons
FOR SYRUP: juice of 2 lemons, 90g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C, mark 3.
- Grease a 7 x 10 inch baking tin and line with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, sugar, flour, salt and eggs, lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat them together for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined tin and bake in the centre of the over for about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the syrup, boil together the lemon juice and icing sugar for a minute.
- Pour the syrup over the cake immediately it comes out of the oven, then leave in the tin to cool.